Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My Heart for Giving...to Missionaries

I am struggling with something these days. Why is it that we, as Christians, who know the importance of sharing our faith and of sending missionaries out to the field, struggle with giving when those who have the call of God on their lives for missions ask us to support them financially? Why can't we seem find it in ourselves to step up and give? I see them ask for any amount, be it five or ten dollars, to help them live and travel to where God is sending them. This is next to NOTHING that they are asking for...seriously, a couple of gallons of gas, a few lattes, a 12 pack of beer or you come up with what you spend ten dollars a week on. Don’t most of us dribble away that much in fancy latte’s and other junk food in just a week? Have we really become so selfish to think that we expect someone else to support them? Where is our love, compassion and devotion to Him who has saved us by His grace? Do we not understand that in our selfLESS giving and yes,even possible sacrificial giving (giving up that latte for a week), that God will bless us? Yep, I said it..God will bless you in YOUR sacrificial giving. Just a few years ago, I told my son, “if I won the lottery, think of all the missionaries I could support!” and he said, “mom, you don’t have to win the lottery to support missionaries, you just need to start giving”. So, I did, it wasn't much at first and in that time, I am now helping to support several missionaries,(including my own son). Did I magically receive a check for millions for doing so? No, but, I have noticed that I have enough to not only support them, but we have enough to take care of ourselves, help our other children and still have lattes. You see, God has been faithful to me, to us, to our son. But, I wonder, what blessings did I miss when I thought I couldn’t afford to give and didn’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment